Monday 16 January 2017

The not so Quiet Killer


Stress has plagued humans for many years in the most detrimental of ways, ranging from mild tension to death.  Stress knows no bounds in how it can effect our lives or where it sneaks in to corrupt our peace. Work, environment, financial woes, relationships and  the bustle of our society all culminate in a perfect storm to wreak havoc on our minds and subsequently our bodies. In being involved with mental health on a daily basis, I get to see a vast array of the repercussions of stress from weight problems and bad habits such as smoking to further developed results like I B S and General Anxiety Disorder or death from a stroke or cardiac arrest.  I say vast as I am not certain I could ever see all of the results from stress as they keep expanding and morphing in different ways. Untreated and ignored the effects of stress grow and impact our physiology in a progressive and lethal way, I should know as I suffered a major Heart attack many years ago and no matter what the medical reasons or explanation for it may have been, I know in my heart of hearts (excuse the pun) that it was a result of stress. I am also aware that the term and concept of stress can be one large excuse or escape hatch and I do not in any way shape or form ever intend it to be made into an easy reason or excuse. Stress is not silent in how it warns us we are carriers or that we are suffering from it, it is only silenced or we become deaf to it yelling at us to take heed and do something about it. As this is the begining of a new Year, or a new Month or a new Week or what ever reason you may be able to latch on to, commit and dedicate this year to treating yourself better and kinder. 
Go for a walk, take up Yoga, see a health care professional, get a puppy, what ever it takes, but move towards a better relaxed and clam you. 

Be well 

Kevin.   

No comments:

Post a Comment